Every year in Belgium, around 50 people die from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. This invisible, odourless and deadly gas can seep into our homes unnoticed.

Do you suspect CO poisoning?

Call 112 and tell the operator that you suspect CO poisoning
Free - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

What are the symptoms of CO poisoning?

Inhaling carbon monoxide can lead to symptoms such as:

  • headaches, dizziness and nausea;
  • impaired vision and smell and difficulty concentrating;
  • chest, muscle and abdominal pains.
Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning symptoms

What to do in case of CO poisoning?

Individuals who are even slightly poisoned must be taken to hospital. They will be given oxygen treatment to eliminate the carbon monoxide from their system.

In the event of an accident, you must:

  • immediately ventilate the area by opening doors and windows;
  • turn off any appliances that are (mal)functioning;
  • evacuate the occupants from the premises;
  • call 112 and tell the operator that you suspect CO poisoning.

How to prevent CO poisoning?

Here are 5 safety measures to help prevent CO poisoning.


Make sure that the room housing the boiler and/or water heater has a constant supply of fresh air.


Always have your gas system installed or modified by a CERGA-certified professional.


Have your appliances inspected every two years for gas and annually for other fuels. Ask the technician to check that the chimney has a good draught.


If you use an extra combustion heater (oil, gas), avoid letting it run for too long.


Install a carbon monoxide detector in your home and ensure it works properly by regularly replacing the batteries.

You can also watch our video


In the event of potential danger, Sibelga is authorised to shut off the gas supply until the system is brought up to standard. This is particularly the case following a fire or a report.