A move is a considerable undertaking. To ensure you do not forget anything, our "moving checklist" lists the tasks to be considered. Not forgetting the steps for energy transfer.
What to think about when moving house?
3 months before my move
- I plan a budget and days off for the move.
- I contact the people who will help me on the day itself and before (family, friends, neighbours, etc.).
- I choose a mover approved by the Belgian Chamber of Movers.
- I sort, I give away, I sell, I throw away.
- I place the things I am selling on second-hand websites or sell them at a flea market. I can also donate them to an association.
- I think of setting aside bubble wrap or newspapers to wrap my fragile items.
- I think of asking for cardboard boxes at my supermarket. Banana boxes are ideal.
1 month before my move
- I notify my suppliers and other organisations that I am moving:
- I find out what to regarding my water, gas and electricity meters at my old home.
- For gas and electricity, I go to the "moving house" section of the www.sibelga.be website. All the actions to be taken are explained here, including the energy transfer.
- For water, I request the reading of my meter readings or I complete the "contradictory meter reading" form. I find the information on the Vivaqua website, if I live in the Brussels-Capital Region.
- I start using up the food stocks in the freezer and cupboards.
- I create a binder with papers related to the move.
- I start packing
- I pack what I use the least first;
- I note the contents of my boxes on an inventory sheet;
- I label the boxes (number, contents, destination room);
- I do not overfill the boxes to avoid them being too heavy.
- I collect all documents and valuables in a briefcase that I will keep with me on moving day.
15 days before my move
- I request the forwarding of my post 2 weeks in advance via the bpost moving service.
- I apply for two parking permits from the municipalities concerned: one for the old home and one for the new one.
- I arrange for someone to look after my children or pets on the day itself.
7 days before my move
- I prepare a suitcase with the essentials for spending the first night in my new home.
- I plan thorough cleaning in my new and old home. If I do not have the time, I call in a specialist company.
- I make a plan of the new home and think about the future location of the furniture.
- I unplug the fridge and freezer in order to clean them.
- I take pictures of the wiring of my electrical appliances (TV, set-top box, DVD, console, etc.) in order to know how to reconnect them later.
- I contact the gas and electricity suppliers to inform them of my move or my wish to change supplier. To compare energy suppliers, I go to the Brusim comparison tool.
- If the meters are open at my future home, I read the electricity, gas and water meters.
- I prepare copies of the energy transfer document. I complete and sign the document with the other party at my old home and at my new address.
After my move
- I carry out the departure inventory of fixtures with the owner of my former home and hand over the keys.
- I reward the troops: I provide drinks and snacks for those who help out.
- I carry out the entry inventory of fixtures with the new owner.
- I declare my new address to the population department of my municipality within 8 days of my move.
- The following institutions are automatically informed after my identity card is updated:
- The social security institutions
- The mutual insurance company
- The CPAS
- Kind en Gezin / ONE
- The family allowance fund
- The regional housing corporations
- The annual holiday funds
- Forem, ACTIRIS or the VDAB, unless I am unemployed, in which case I have to inform them myself
- I organise my housewarming party to celebrate my successful move.