Sibelga installs the smart electricity meter at certain customers only, or on your own request.
Who is entitled to a free smart meter?
You have to be one of certain specific types of customers to be entitled to a smart meter. We install it free of charge in the following cases:
- for new prosumers in an existing building who produce their own electricity, for example by means of solar panels
- for owners of electric vehicles who wish to charge their vehicles
- in the context of modernisation work planned by Sibelga or projects such as the implementation of energy communities
Are you one of these types of customers?
Don't hesitate to ask for your current meter to be replaced by a smart meter.
In what other cases is a smart meter also installed?
- at customers who request it
- in the event of major renovations requiring the complete renewal of all meters located at the same address
- for all new electrical connections
The rollout is being carried out in accordance with the legal framework set out in the Ordinance on the organisation of the electricity market in the Brussels-Capital Region passed by the Brussels Government.
The installation of the smart meter in Brussels - in agreement with the regulator, Brugel - meets the requirements of the European Energy Efficiency Directive (DEE).