Leaving your old home
Moving in your new home

Congratulations, you are soon moving in !

There is energy in your new home ? Subscribe a contact with an energy supplier as soon as possible in order for your meters not to get disconnected.

Find all the information in the film  or follow your steps below.

What to do in your case ?

Get a recap of the steps to follow in your personal case.

View the steps

Moving in a nutshell

The meters are connected

  • When you get the keys to your new home, write down together with the former occupant or the landlord the meter readings on the energy transfer document.
  • Send this information to your energy supplier. If you don't have a contract, your meters might get disconnected

There is no energy supply, the meters are closed

Frequently asked questions

How much time do I have to put my meters in order ? Open

Sign a contract with an energy supplier as soon as possible. Don't hesitate to get in touch with him before you move.

In all cases, you have around 15 days after your move to put things in order and to avoid being switched off.


What happens if I do not put my situation in order in time ? Open

You just moved and are using electricity and/or gas without having a contract with an energy supplier? 

In this case, the energy supplier of the former occupant might ask Sibelga to close the meters.

Do I take a risk if I do not fill in the energy take-over document ? Open

The energy transfer document is not a contract.

However, filling it in avoids further issues about the meters with the former occupant. It is also a written agreement between the two parties. It is therefore highly recommended to fill in this document together with the former occupant or the owner.

If you don't, you might end up paying a part of the former occupant's energy bill. 

How to know which meter provides energy in my home ? Open

Quick solution
Ask the former occupant, the owner or the property management. The meter numbers and the EAN codes are mentioned on the energy bills of the previous occupant.

Technical solution
Switch off your meter's main circuit breaker. You do not have electricity anymore ? You found your meter. Another solution is to switch off everything on your switchboard. If the meter's disc stops turning, this is probably yours. 

To find you gas meter, switch off your boiler and your stove. Then check if the meter's disc stops turning. If so, you might have found your meter.

You can also call our Customer Service : 02 549 41 00.

How can I find the EAN codes of my new meters ? Open
  • Ask the former occupant. The information is mentioned on his energy bills.
  • If you know your meter's number, find easily your EAN code online.
  • Or call our Customer Service : 02 549 41 00