Let’s suppose you don’t have a contract with an energy supplier, but you are using energy in your new home. In that case, you risk Sibelga coming along to close your meters on behalf of the previous occupant’s energy supplier.

If your energy supply is cut off, you first have to conclude a contract with an energy supplier as quickly as possible; and then call Sibelga to have your meters opened. After this, it can take at least two working days before a Sibelga technician is able to come and open the meters. Remember, too, that a charge is made to open the meters.